- What are the IHDA Category Qualifications?
- How do I get my products featured on the HBD101 Store?
- Can anyone apply?
- How do I apply?
- What is the best way to show my bag?
- Can I upload an image with my logo on it just in case for branding?
- What information must you have of mine?
- What is a silhouette?
- What if I submit a pdf, gif, a word document, my linesheets or anything but a jpeg?
- Will I be informed if my bag is not uploaded correctly?
- When I hit the Proceed button, my computer freezes.
- Can I apply with 2 different bags to the same category?
- How many categories can I apply to?
- Can I use the same bag for every category?
- English is not my first language. Will that work against me when I apply?
- Can I review my application after I apply?
- How long does it take to apply?
- Which categories require a sketch submission and not a finished bag?
- Can I use a sketch of a bag I already made?
- How long will I get to actually make my bag if I become a finalist for either of those 2 categories?
- When is the application deadline?
- Will the deadline be extended?
- My bags won't be ready to shoot until after April 27th, is that ok?
- What is the IHDA Process?
- If I am a finalist, when will I be informed?
- If I am a finalist, what are my responsibilities?
- What if my bag is not available on April 29th?
- What if I am disqualified?
- Do I need to come to New York City for the IHDA on June 19th, 2013?
- Can the IHDA provide accommodation, help finance my trip or organize my itinerary to NYC?
- What if I cannot find a representative?
- How can I become part of the Audience Fan Favorite Award?
- Can I contact InStyle to ask them to feature my bags?
- I only have 1 sample of my bag, will that be a problem?
- I am a Finalist, will I get my bag back?
- What are the IHDA Prizes?
- Will more categories be added after January 1st? I want to know if I should keep checking in just in case.
- I am a Winner, how do I get my prize?
- Can I contact the IHDA regarding my prize after I win?
- I would like to send out a press release about my win, is that ok?
- How can I be Designer of the Day?
- How can I follow you on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Meetup?
- I have a question that isn't answered, can I contact you?
1. What are the IHDA Category Qualifications?
Best Handbag in Overall Style & Design:
Best executed handbag overall in style and design
- Bags must be under designer's own label
Best Student Made Handbag
Students who have successfully started their lines while still in
-Students must have started their lines while still in school
- Currently attending high school, college or university on any level
- Bags must be under student's own label
- Major in design is optional
The Brother™ Best Handmade Handbag:
Made with any material where the designer is making their bag
by sewing machine or by hand
- Bags must be made by the designer using a sewing machine or by hand
- Must be under designer's own label
- Manufactured or factory made bags are not allowed
The Timberland Best Green Handbag:
Bags that are made out of sustainable, recycled or organic materials
- Bags can be made from:
• Raw materials: 100% organic cotton, hemp, bamboo, cork
• Recycled materials: fabric, soda bottles, vinyl, etc.
• Sustainable fibers: corn based, cotton, linen, ramie, seaweed, silk,
- All components (e.g. metal zippers, buttons, clasps should be made
from recycled metal or reused pieces
- Handbag should be completely recyclable at the end of its life
- Any dyed fabric should be done with a non-toxic dye that does not use
Most Socially Responsible Handbag:
Bags that are made in a country where the proceeds are given back to
the country of manufacturing or people that are employed to manufacture
handbags to better their lives and/or conditions
- Bags must be under designer's own label
- Bags must be made in country where portion of the proceeds are given
back to that country of manufacturing
- Bags must be made by country that employs local communities to create
jobs and work in third world countries or poverty-stricken regions
Audience Fan Favorite Handbag:
One of the twenty-five finalists' handbags will be
selected by InStyle.com readers poll
2. How do I get my products featured on the HBD101 Store?
Contact email@example.com and say you are interested in having your bags sold on the HBD101 Store. Check out www.hbd101.com/store to see more bags from our amazing talent pool.
3. Can anyone apply?
Yes. No matter where you are at in your business, you are welcome to apply. However, note that if you are designing for a licensee or are funded by another brand, your submission will not be accepted since you are no longer an independent handbag designer.
4. How do I apply?
Upload 1 "product shot" of one bag only
in jpeg format and be sure to
save the image with no hyphens, spaces or symbols. Make sure the image is a
a bitmap, pdf or any other format, or else your
application will be disqualified.
5. What is the best way to show my bag?
Please make sure that the image is of the highest resolution and quality.
Try to avoid distracting backgrounds like people or hangers and do not have any
text or watermarks on the uploaded images. Try to avoid using people so it does
not take away from the details of your bag. If you need more information,
to see how they display their handbags to understand what
a proper handbag product shot looks like.
6. Can I upload an image with my logo on it just in case for branding?
No. It is distracting to your bag image and will take away from the details of the bag. We will know it is your bag, don't worry.
7. What information must you have of mine?
We will need your name, email address and correct telephone numbers. We
will also need a bag detailed description. Make sure to also include below the
image a description and keep it simple; Bag Brand Name, Style name (if there is
one), silhouette type, material, color and retail price.
Example: Handbags By Me, "Hanna" style, Tote, red lambskin leather, $200
Photos that are too blurry or dark will be not be accepted. Please note that
applications submitted without a full product description or not in jpeg format
will also be disqualified.
8. What is a silhouette?
Silhouette is a the shape of your bag. For example, tote, cross-body, hobo,
coin-purse, facile-frame - those are silhouettes that you could use to describe
9. What if I submit a pdf, gif, a word document, my linesheets or anything but a jpeg?
Your photo will not upload and will not be accepted.
10. Will I be informed if my bag is not uploaded correctly?
Yes. We review the applications and will alert you as a courtesy if your image does not go through. That will be the only reason why you will be contacted prior to the application closing deadline of April 27, 2013 at 11:59pm.
11. When I hit the Proceed button, my computer freezes.
You need to make sure you are working with at least Windows 97. Any version older will not be able to transmit images.
12. Can I apply with 2 different bags to the same category?
No, if you do, the first bag applied will be the bag that is used for that category submission.
If you are a current seller on the HBD101 Store, then you can as you will be able to apply to the same category twice.
13. How many categories can I apply to?
You can apply to every category but not the same category twice. This means for example, if you are a student - you can apply to Best Student Made, Best Handmade, Best Green Handbag but not Best Student Made twice.
However, if you are a member of our HBD101 Store, you can apply twice to every category. For more information, check out www.hbd101.com/store or email firstname.lastname@example.org to join.
14. Can I use the same bag for every category?
Yes you can.
15. English is not my first language. Will that work against me when I apply?
No, but we strongly recommend proof-reading or having someone review your application regardless.
16. Can I review my application after I apply?
No. Once you apply and submit, your application is complete. We strongly suggest proof-reading and review your application before you submit to avoid any spelling or grammar errors. Please write in full sentences. Remember you are representing your brand.
17. How long does it take to apply?
Only 5-10 minutes but we strongly advise proof-reading your application before you submit.
18. Which categories require a sketch submission and not a finished bag?
Not at this time but stay tuned as more categories will be added before the deadline.
The guidelines are for sketch-based categories are that you must submit a detailed sketch and are to be submitted in jpeg format. Once informed you are a finalist, you will be required to make the bags from your sketches within the time allotted. Any submission for these categories that is of a finished bag will not be accepted.
19. Can I use a sketch of a bag I already made?
No. If used, it will be disqualified.
20. How long will I get to actually make my bag if I become a finalist for either of those 2 categories?
You will be informed if you are a Finalist on Monday, April 29th.
21. When is the application deadline?
April 27, 2013 at 11:59pm with no exceptions.
22. Will the deadline be extended?
23. My bags won't be ready to shoot until after April 27th, is that ok?
No. Your application will not be accepted.
24. What is the IHDA Process?
The industry's top fashion and accessories' bloggers will review submissions at a pre-screening event on April 28th. Five finalists will be selected in each category based on the merits of their designs. Once selected, designers must send their handbag to IHDA headquarters within one week of being notified. From here, a fashion panel of esteemed industry professional will judge the finalists' designs. The designer that receives the most votes in each category will be announced as the winner on June 19th, 2013.
25. If I am a finalist, when will I be informed?
You will be informed if you are a Finalist on Monday, April 29th.
26. If I am a finalist, what are my responsibilities?
Once informed, you will need to send the bag you submitted to IHDA Headquarters by no later than Saturday, May 4th since they will be collected on Monday, May 6th for InStyle to shoot. Any bags received after May 7th will not be accepted and will be disqualified.
27. What if my bag is not available on April 29th?
Finalists my provide the exact bag that was submitted in order to compete in the design competition. We will not accept a bag in a different color, material or shape. Any other bags will not be accepted and will be disqualified.
28. What if I am disqualified?
With over 1000 applicants, the designer that was last chosen will take your place. It is very important that all rules are followed so this does not happen.
29. Do I need to come to New York City for the IHDA on June 19th, 2013?
Yes. You or a representative must come to attend on your behalf.
30. Can the IHDA provide accommodation, help finance my trip or organize my itinerary to NYC?
No. It is your responsibility to pay for your own trip. If you cannot afford trip then please make sure you have a representative attend on your behalf.
31. What if I cannot find a representative?
It is in your best interest as a brand and designer to make sure you have someone attend on your behalf. You are doing a disservice otherwise. We strongly advise having someone come.
32. How can I become part of the Audience Fan Favorite Award?
The InStyle Audience Fan Favorite is based on the IHDA Finalists selected. Those Finalists are guaranteed a spot on InStyle.com for voting. Please note that only applies to the categories with finished bags, not sketch submissions.
33. Can I contact InStyle to ask them to feature my bags?
No. If it is related to the IHDA. IHDA Finalists are guranteed spots on InStyle.com (except for the 2 categories listed above) and IHDA Winners are guaranteed an editorial feature in InStyle magazine. Any other contact with InStyle must not be related to IHDA.
34. I only have 1 sample of my bag, will that be a problem?
No but you should be organized and make sure you are aware how to produce your bag just in case you are a Winner and need samples ready for sale or press.
35. I am a Finalist, will I get my bag back?
After June 19th, all Finalists will get their bags returned unless needed for press or further editorial coverage.
36. What are the IHDA Prizes?
The Best Handbag in Overall Style & Design -
Winner will receive a booth at WWDMAGIC, the opportunity to have their line
carried at Bloomingdale’s, and a collaboration with 2012 ICONOCLAST
The Best Student Made Handbag - Winner will receive the opportunity to
have collaboration with a well-know industry brand.
The Brother™ Best Handmade Handbag - Winner will receive a designer
profile and guest blogging opportunity on the BrotherSews Facebook page (www.facebook.com/brothersews)
as well as a feature-packed computerized sewing machine from the Simplicity® by
Brother™ line. The SB3129 offers the tools to bring out the power designer in
you, including 120 built-in sewing stitches, advanced needle threading system,
and a wide table for your largest projects.
The Timberland Best Green Handbag - Winner will receive the chance to
collaborate with Timberland to develop a product for sale in their stores.
Most Socially Responsible Handbag - Winner will receive a marketing
feature with JP Selects.
Audience Fan Favorite Handbag - Based on Finalists Selected hosted by
*All IHDA Winners will be featured in the September issue of InStyle.
37. Will more categories be added after January 1st? I want to know if I should keep checking in just in case.
Yes! Stay tuned as we are confirming more great categories and prizes so definitely stay tuned.
38. I am a Winner, how do I get my prize?
It is the Winner's responsibility to follow up with their Sponsor's prize. The Winner should make sure they speak to their sponsor immediately the night of the Awards and make arrangements to meet the day after to discuss details to execute the collaboration.
39. Can I contact the IHDA regarding my prize after I win?
No. It is your responsibility to follow up with your Sponsor for your prize.
40. I would like to send out a press release about my win, is that ok?
Absolutely but you must send all releases to the IHDA for approval.
41. How can I be Designer of the Day?
Make sure you are signed up for the
and we will contact you for further information.
42. How can I follow you on Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and Meetup?
Absolutely! Twitter: @HandbagDesigner; Facebook: Handbag Designer 101: The Independent Handbag Designer Awards; Linkedin: Handbag Designer 101; Meetup: Handbag Designer 101.
43. I have a question that isn't answered, can I contact you?
Yes, at email@example.com.